Aug 23 The Complete List of Advertising Restrictions on Social Networks
Social media networks have made it easy for businesses to market their products and reach a large audience all over the world. However, there are certain things you cannot advertise on social networks. As of August 2021, here are the lists of advertising restrictions on social networks that are in place.
Across social media networks, “standard rules” apply for prohibited ad content. The standard rules include no promotion of illegal products, no promotion that includes trademarks that belong to others, and no promotion including deceptive practices. For you to manage a successful ad campaign, you must first know the types of content that are restricted or disallowed on social networks. Most of the restricted content and prohibited content follow similar standards from one platform to another. However, each platform has its own rules.
Facebook and Instagram
Here is the list of advertising restrictions that are allowed on Facebook and/or Instagram only after you’ve met Facebook requirements.
- Online Gambling and Gaming
- Promotion of Online Pharmacies
- Promotion of Over-The-Counter Drugs
- Subscription Services
- Financial and Insurance Products and Services
- Branded Content
- Ads About Social Issues, Elections or Politics
- Disclaimers for Ads About Social Issues, Elections or Politics
- Cryptocurrency Products and Services
- Drug and Alcohol Addiction Treatment
- Cosmetic Procedures and Wellness
- Social Casino Games
- Promotion of Prescription Drugs
TikTok restricts the following ad content.
- Gambling and Lotteries
- Religion and Culture
- Protection of Minors
- Weight Control/Management
- Body Image
- HFSS Food and Drink (HFSS is short for foods high in fat, salt or sugar)
Here is the full list of restricted ads on LinkedIn.
- Animal Products
- Dating Services
- Soliciting Funds
- Short Term Loans
Twitter has advertising restrictions that are easy to follow. The social media platform does not allow out-of-the-ordinary ads.
- Adult Sexual Content
- Alcohol Content:
- Cause-based Advertising
- Counterfeit Goods
- Drugs and Drug Paraphernalia
- Endangered Species
- Financial Products and Services
- Gambling Content
- Hateful Content
- Inappropriate Content
- Malware and Software Downloads
- Political Content
- Prohibited Content for Minors
- State Media
- Tobacco and Tobacco Accessories
- Unauthorized Ticket Sales
- Unacceptable Business Practices
- Weapons and Weapon Accessories
Pinterest restricts the following ad content.
- Contests and Sweepstakes
- Financial Products
- Gambling Products
- Healthcare Products
- Weight Loss Products and Services
Reddit’s restricted ad lists follow suit like any other social media platform. Here are some of the ads that Reddit restricts.
- Third-Party Rights
- Gambling and Gambling Related Services
- Political Advertisements
- Unofficial Resale of Event Tickets
- Live Animals
- Dating Services
- Financial/Cryptocurrency Products and Services
- Health and Wellness
- Recreational Drugs
When it comes to advertising on social networks, you have to follow the rules when advertising. Minor violations can cost you time and lead to your advertisement being rejected. It’s always better to be safe than sorry. Following the above guidelines will ensure your ads get approved faster.
For exclusive content sent straight to your inbox, sign up for our newsletter, Social You Should Know.
Subscribe to Social You Should Know