Keypoints from the fMC Keynote – The New Facebook Brand Pages
Facebook to Brands:
- Everything you do on Facebook starts with your page.
- Express your identify and tell your stories.
- The newsfeed = “The most important internet real estate”
If you want to talk to me, you need to listen to me as well.With love,Your Loyal CustomerSheryl explained that, today, everyone has the power of voice. The 15 minutes of fame rule, where the little guy is heard for a short period of time and eventually drowned out by institutions, no longer applies. People have always had the power of voice, but now technology helps them scale, leveling traditional hierarchy online.So Facebook is applying the same principles of how people engage on the network to brands. Sheryl to brands: “You have an identity, a voice. Use it to make stronger, lasting connections with customers.”Social Proof is Becoming More Important Than EverChris Cox, Facebook’s VP of Product shared the model for TV watching as an example: People flip through channels until they find something interesting. Instead, what if you could turn on a TV and the start screen said, “14 of your friends watched Entourage, click here to watch it now.” Facebook is following this social proof model.This requires brands to focus on quality and engaging content. Chris shared Facebook’s vision for brands: Interactions between people and brands should become just as engaging and interactive as the interactions they have with their own friends and families.So just how are brand pages changing? Even though he started his segment by telling us “The story of how we got here involves razors. A lot of razors.” Mike Hoefflinger, Facebook’s Director of Marketing, finally got to the meat of this presentation:
The New Facebook Brand PagesHoefflinger says we created ads because we couldn’t tell stories in any other way to the scale needed to make a difference. Now we can, with the new pages for brands on Facebook.
- Facebook pages will finally be fully accessible on smart phones, including their applications.
- Pinned posts will allow brands to keep important content at the top of the page for 7 days.
- Social proof will be key with friends who also like the brand and their latest conversation about the brand at the top of the timeline.
- Customers can message brands directly and engage in a one on one conversation with the brand.
- You can tell fictional stories on timeline too (they gave the example of a new Will Smith movie.) ARG anyone? (That stands for Alternate Reality Game…)
- And of course, new ad options for getting your content in front of more people.
Launch of Offers on FacebookYou’ve probably seen this one from Macy’s floating around your newsfeed in the last week. This new story option is a sponsored story of sorts, where people can claim an offer with a single click. With that click, the offer is immediately redeemable and sent to the user’s email or mobile phone (because FB already has that data, says Hoefflinger.)
Launch of Reach Generator on FacebookWhat is it? A product that ensure your fans see your stories. How’s it work?Step 1: Publish a post.
About 16% of your fans will see this post. But you want 50% of your fans to see it? With Reach Generator, Facebook moves that post to the homepage of your fans. Ben & Jerry’s reached 98% of their fans, saw an increase in sales and 3:1 ROI with this new ad unit. How’s that for a quick case study?
The key here though is for brands to truly understand what content is engaging to their fans. Once you understand that, you can use Reach Generator to increase distirbution. And when fans tell stories on top of your stories, their friends see it too.