Microsoft Windows: Playlist 7
The Windows marketing team wanted to build their fan base across social networks and to generate positive sentiment about Windows 7 among “transitioners” – students entering or graduating college who are likely to be in the market for a new computer.
- Community Analysis revealed that transitioners over-indexed for downloading MP3s and listening to independent artists, so we collaborated with ReverbNation to develop a groundbreaking music-giveaway program sponsored by Windows, offering free song downloads from 1,000 up-and-coming artists
- Each week we featured music samples from 50 artists and invited Windows fans to vote for their favorites; the seven most popular tracks were made available the following week as free downloads for anyone
- Only fans connected with Windows could access unreleased music and influence next week’s releases
- More than 1,000 artists drove their networks of fans to the program, accounting for the majority of traffic and outperforming a mandatory network ad buy
- 84% of those who participated in the program were new fan connections for Windows
- Our client received 42 million positive impressions covering this campaign
Tell us about yourself and sign up for our weekly newsletter, Social You Should Know. You'll receive the latest social media news and insights from Jim Tobin and the Ignite Social Media team.