21 Mar 2013 NCAA Bracket Decided by Twitter
March Madness is here! The 2013 NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament has officially kicked off, and the field is already down to 64 teams. People go pretty crazy (mad even) when filling out their brackets, and the reasons for choosing each school are different for everybody. Some people pick their teams based on reason. Others pick their teams based on heart (Go Wolfpack! Hey, a fan can dream, right?), the team’s colors, or even the mascot. This year I wanted to take a different approach to the bracket. Instead of going with my heart, or any objective reason, I decided to create a bracket based on each team’s Twitter presence.
Tweet and Advance: Methodology
- Only university men’s basketball Twitter accounts were used
- Teams with no men’s basketball Twitter account were automatically disqualified
- Teams advanced based on owning the higher number in at least 2/3 of the following factors:
- Total followers as of Friday, March 15, 2013
- Klout scores
- Percent growth over the final conference tournament weekend (Friday, March 15, 2013 to 11 p.m. after Selection Sunday)
If choosing teams based on mascots and colors can work, Twitter presence can predict winners too, right? Crazier things have happened. What do you think of the results? Who is your pick to win the tournament? Let us know in the comments below!