Jun 13 Round Up of All of Instagram’s Newest Features and Features to Be on The Lookout For
Instagram is constantly keeping all of us on our toes with new features to the platform, changes to their algorithm, and so much more. Because there are constant changes to stay up to date with, we’ve put together a list of all the recent changes and features to make your life easier.
Sorting Options for Followers and Karaoke-Style Music Videos
You’ll now be able to filter your most recent ‘followers’ and ‘following’ lists which would enable you to sort the list by most recent additional, or the opposite. This change makes is easier to locate your most long-serving brand supporters, which may provide new opportunities for connection.
Instagram is also trying out a karaoke-esque music video with lyrics tools for stories, adding to your music sharing options – we’re pumped about this new feature, if it rolls out.
Instagram Hides “Like” Counts in Leaked Design Prototype
We want your followers to focus on what you share, not how many likes your posts get. During this test, only the person who shares a post will see the total number of likes it gets.
Hiding Like counts could reduce herd mentality, where people just Like what’s already gotten tons of Likes. It could reduce the sense of competition on Instagram, since users won’t compare their own counts with those of more popular friends or superstar creators. And it could encourage creators to post what feels most authentic rather than trying to rack up Likes for everyone to see.
Instagram’s Test to New Communal Video Viewing Option
Instagram is testing to launch a new option which enables users to view on-platform video content with a friend, while also seeing their reactions on screen via the phone camera.
The option would start with a split-screen view, where you can apply face filters and other visual tools to your personal camera feed. You can then choose Instagram videos to watch together, with the added interactive elements of being able to see and hear your co-viewer in a minimized window.
Instagram Tests New “Join Chat” Sticker
Jane Manchun Wong uncovered a new “Join Chat” sticker option on Instagram Stories. The sticker would enable stories viewers to join a private chat group, direct from the story. The ‘Join Chat’ sticker prompts the user to add a note on what the chat is about.
It also has a lower message that reads ‘People who view your story can request to join this group chat’. About 85% of the messages shared on Instagram are distributed among the same three friends, as opposed to broader groups. This new sticker option could put a greater emphasis on this by prompting private group discussions and sharing.
Instagram Rolls Out Updated Explore Format, Including Stories Content
- Instagram is rolling out some changes to its
- Showcase more related trends
- Guide to IGTV
- Push to on-platform shopping options
- Instagram has tweaked the format of the Explore search options to put more focus on the listed content
- Topic tabs appear to be reduced in size
- Some users have had this new format for the last month or so, as part of Instagram’s testing
- The new layout removes the preview images, putting more focus onto the content
Instagram Re-Vamps IGTV to Better Align with Rising Consumption Trends
Instagram has given IGTV a refresh, which is more aligned with Snapchat and rising short-video platform TikTok
- Opting for a singular feed of algorithmically-defined content that plays through, one-by-one, while it’s also added larger video tiles (right image above), which you scroll through vertically
- The larger tiles are a lot like Snapchat’s Discover, while the singular feed takes cues from TikTok.
- The idea is to tap into content trends that have proven popular in other apps (but whether that will make IGTV more appealing is hard to say.
Need help implementing these Instagram changes to your social strategy? We’re here to help!