20 Questions to Ask Before You Hire a Social Media Agency
social media marketing strategies, more and more agencies are following the money, professing to be experts in the space. And, since agencies are full of marketers, it’s sometimes difficult to tell the difference between the best and the rest. To that end, I offer 20 questions in five categories, any of which you can ask of your prospective social media agency during the request for proposal phase, whether you’re following a formal RFP or an informal review. This was inspired by a question I answered on the suddenly very hot Q&A site Quora. (If you’d like to connect on Quora, my profile is here.)
- Q1: For which clients have you developed social media marketing strategies?
- Q2: What are the specific steps in your social media strategy development process and how long do they take?
- Q3: Can I talk to clients for whom you’ve developed these strategies?
- Q4: When did your first social media marketing campaign go live?
- Q5: What campaign(s) are you most proud of?
- Q6: How did the results of those campaigns align with the client’s objectives?
- Q7: Why did you choose to focus on those objectives and why was this campaign the best way to do so?
- Q8: What is your process for community management?
- Q9: How does this process differ across Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, blog and niche social networks?
- Q10: What is your process for content development?
- Q11: What is your process for campaign management (development, implementation)?
- Q12: What is your process for monitoring and reporting?
- Q13: When you opened your doors as an agency, what was your initial focus area (PR, advertising, SEO, web development, app development, social)? You can only choose one.
- Q14: How many staff do you have in your agency? How many of them are 100% dedicated to social media marketing?
- Q15: Who was your first hire dedicated to social media, when did you hire them and why?
- Q16: Who would you envision on our account and what is their social media experience?
- Q17: We don’t just do social media marketing. How do you integrate your social staff with the other people we have doing advertising, PR, website development, etc?
- Q18: What percentage of your corporate blog posts do you write? When did you write the first one and can I have a link to your posts?
- Q19: Without naming your agency or any of its clients, tell me 2 recent social media marketing efforts that you admired and why you admired them.
- Q20: Which sites do you think are going to be “hot” next that a brand should be paying attention to for potential marketing opportunities?