Top 50 Branded Facebook Fan Pages, March 2012. Nike Sprints, Reese's Melts (UPDATE)
An overhaul to the process that creates the charts for my monthly "Top 50 Branded Facebook Fan Pages" posts created errors in the March version. We realized this overhaul inadvertently dropped a few pages we've been tracking for a long time. We've since updated the chart below. My apologies for any inconvenience.
March was a good month for fan growth for fast brands, it seems. When you look at the 5 fastest growing pages among the Top 50 Branded Facebook Fan Pages, three deal with speed, two deal with fashion. More on that in a minute.
We also improved our page sweeping efforts by redoing our analysis, by hand, of more than 1,500 pages and then adding new automation to how we track these charts. As a result, we have an unusually high number of new names on the list this month.
Fastest Growing Branded Facebook Fan Pages
The top 5 fastest growing fan pages among the Top 50 this month are:
- Nike, up 16% to #45
- Walt Disney World, up 13% to #37
- BMW, up 12% to #39
- Sprite, up 12% to #49
- Nike Football, up 10% to #30
With all the new pages we're tracking now, there was more movement than usual this month. And, as usual, the pages that fell in the rankings continued to grow. They just didn't grow as fast as some of those previously ranked behind them.
- Reese’s, down 3 spots to #42
- Starbucks Frappuccino, down 3 spots to #44
- Taco Bell, down 2 spots to #47
- Dr. Pepper, down 1 spot to #27
- Victoria’s Secret Pink, down 1 spot to #28
Others that dropped 1 spot included Levi's, Disney Pixar, Starburst, National Geographic, DC Shoes and Hollister.
New to the List
With our new system, we're happy to add 8 new pages to the list, all of which meet our methodology for this ranking. They are:
- Dior, debuting at #31;
- Hello Kitty, debuting at #32;
- ESPN, debuting at #34;
- Louis Vuitton, debuting at #35;
- Dove, debuting at #39;
- Yahoo, debuting at #43;
- Nickelodeon, debuting at #47;
- Domino's Pizza, debuting at #49 and
- Dolce & Gabbana, debuting at #50.
Top 50 Branded Facebook Fan Pages, March 2012
|Current Rank (03/28/2012)||Rank by Fan Count (02/29/2012)||Change in Rank||Fans As of 02/29/2012||Fans As of 03/28/2012||% increase|
|9||Converse All Stars||10||1||22,888,851||23,361,713||2%|
|Current Rank (03/28/12)||Rank by Fan Count (02/29/12)||Change in Rank||Fans as of 02/29/12||Fans as of 03/28/2012||% increase|
|28||Victoria's Secret Pink||27||-1||11,378,488||11,655,364||2%|
|37||Walt Disney World||40||3||8,828,450||9,971,838||13%|
For those of you curious about where your favorite band, movie or TV show is on this list, here's the full explanation for what we're tracking.
Since at Ignite Social Media we’re primarily interested in social media marketing by brands like those we represent, I excluded fan pages that weren’t official pages being used to promote a product. Specifically, I left out pages that featured:
- Celebrities (like Vin Diesel), as well as TV shows and movies
- Politicians (like Barack Obama)
- Musicians (like Michael Jackson)
- Athletes (like Roger Federer)
- Sports teams (like New York Yankees)
- Comedians (like Adam Sandler)
- Unbranded fan pages (like Music)
- Facebook games or apps (like Mafia Wars)
- Generic or unofficial product pages (like Freeze Pops)
- Pages in languages other than English (like Musica En Tu Perfil)
Tell us about yourself and sign up for our weekly newsletter, Social You Should Know. You'll receive the latest social media news and insights from Jim Tobin and the Ignite Social Media team.